There are approximately 1.7 billion websites online at any one time.
The number does fluctuate as new websites are launched and others closed down.
To help build those websites, there are numerous website builders that are available to owners.
What is The Main Criteria for Picking The Best Website Builder?
There are many features that you’re looking for in the best website builders.
- Ease of use: Some will be drag-and-drop page builders, and others will require more knowledge of coding.
- Hosting options: Some website builders will require you to use their web hosting paid plans.
- Price: Numerous website builders are free of charge, whereas others require a paid plan.
- Functionality: Depending on the needs of your personal or business website, you need to pick a website builder that has the features required.
- Speed: Website speed is important for search engine optimization and conversions on an eCommerce website.
Top 22 Website Builders according to ThriveMyWay 2023
Here is a list of the top 22 website builders for you to try out.
Hostinger Website Builder – Best AI Website Builder for Simple Websites
Hostinger Website Builder allows you to create a simple website with ease.
Hostinger Website Builder comes free of charge with all Hostinger hosting plans.
- Is extremely simple to use – AI builder can generate a custom site in under a minute and the site is fully customizable with a drag-and-drop editor.
- Excellent site performance with great Cloudflare inclusion, free Domain, free SSL Certificate, and more.
- Over 200+ designer-crafted templates to choose from.
- AI Logo, Writer and Heatmap tools to help you brand your website.
- There are 20+ ways to take payments on your website.
- Limited customization options.
- Extra costs for add-ons.
- Best offer with 48-month billing cycle.
Pricing (for 12 months):
- Single: $2.99/month
- Premium: $2.99/month
- Business: $4.99/month
- Cloud Startup: $11.99/month
Wix – Best for a Basic Website Design
Wix is one of the most well-known website builders available.
They market their services widely online and on television.
- Includes website hosting with all plans.
- Easy to use drag and drop interface that is perfect for new website owners.
- Includes eCommerce functionality that allows for ways to monetize your website.
- Lots of great, highly professional templates can be used on your platform.
- Simple customization options that allow for truly unique websites.
- Not locked into long-term website builder plans.
- Site security, including a free SSL Certificate, is standard.
- Lots of visual templates that are perfect for a portfolio website.
- The free plan includes adverts on your website that can be distracting to audiences.
- It is harder to make your website SEO-friendly.
- There are no unlimited plans for storage.
- Free plan
- Combo plan: $14 per month
- Unlimited plan: $18 per month
- Pro plan: $23 per month
- VIP plan: $39 per month
- Business Basic (eCommerce): $23 per month
- Business Unlimited (eCommerce): $27 per month
- Business VIP (eCommerce): $49 per month
- Enterprise: $500/month
Squarespace – Best Website Builder for Photographers
Squarespace is another well-known and highly publicized web builder.
It has lots of functionality that make it one of the best site builders available.
- Lots of great templates for creating a professional website.
- Customization of all the templates is easy and intuitive with the website builder tool.
- Lots of support for building your Squarespace website online.
- Can sell event tickets, services, and products on the Squarespace eCommerce platform.
- Lots of other website functionality can be added to your website.
- Can import and export data from your website.
- Website speed is one of the best on the market.
- There is social media and G Suite integration.
- Save 25% on website hosting when you buy annually.
- There are many handy Squarespace plugins.
- There is no free plan available.
- You cannot switch templates once your website has been designed.
- You can’t use a third-party CDN.
- There is limited ability to make changes to your SEO performance.
- Personal: $16 per month.
- Business: $26 per month
- Basic Commerce: $30 per month
- Advanced Commerce: $46 per month
Weebly – Best Website Builder in Terms of Design
Weebly is a lovely option that is less well-known because there is limited marketing for the website designing tool.
However, there are more than 40 million websites that have been designed and hosted by Weebly.
- There is a lot of flexibility when you customize website templates.
- Hosting packages are included and have good loading speeds.
- The editor is really simple to use, even for those new to website design.
- Can easily manage your website through the Weebly App option.
- The eCommerce platform is perfect for the service industry.
- Drag and drop page builder.
- Include video backgrounds in your website design.
- Site backups are infrequent, so if you lose your website it is gone.
- There are few blogging functions.
- Free websites are stuck with Weebly branding.
- The photo editor is poor in comparison to offline software options.
- Free: $0 per month
- Connect: $5 per month
- Pro: $12 per month
SITE123 – Best Free Website Builder
Site123 offers customers a free way to get their website up and running.
The drag and drop page builder is perfect for those who want to experiment with a website.
- Comes with a free SSL Certificate for a secure website that builds trust with audiences.
- The templates available are fully responsive and mobile-friendly.
- There are lots of available templates that you can customize with the easy website builder.
- Fantastic support system with a live chat option that provides you with good care.
- There is an app market that can help you add functionality to your website.
- Can easily translate your website to appeal to a larger audience.
- There are some great SEO tools.
- Once you’ve got your website to go live, you can’t change the template.
- Some of the website functionality is very basic.
- There are adverts on your website when you’re on a cheaper plan.
- There are some layout restrictions for your website design.
- Free: $0 per month
- Basic: $19 per month
- Advanced: $28 per month
- Professional: $39 per month
- Gold: $47 per month
Strikingly – Best Website Design Tool for Mobile Optimised Websites
Strikingly is a little-known tool that is perfect for those looking for a great mobile-optimized website.
Those who sign up for this easy website builder can have a new website built within minutes.
- More than 100 free website templates can be used.
- There is a simple basic website tool that allows you to build your website within minutes.
- Can turn your website into a small eCommerce platform with ease.
- Can add media sliders, galleries, and more to your website.
- A lot of analytical tools to help you gauge the use of your website with audiences.
- Can be used for one-page websites.
- Perfect for a simple website.
- Does not work well for those who want large eCommerce or complex websites.
- Limited even on the highest plans on what you can have.
- Paying for a custom domain is really expensive.
- Poor interaction options for your blog.
- Free – $0 per month
- Limited – $12 per month
- Pro – $20 per month
- VIP – $59 per month
Duda – Best Website Builder for Small Business Owners
Duda is a fast website builder that allows for a polished website design using templates.
For those who are looking for an easy-to-use website builder where code is not needed, this is a good option.
- A fantastic range of apps and add-ons for getting more website functionality onto your website.
- Lots of customization options with the numerous website templates available.
- Can help you make a website within minutes.
- Offers the chance to add code for those who are more technically minded.
- Finished websites can look great on desktops, laptops, and mobile devices.
- Integrates with social media really well.
- Use your own custom domain.
- There are some limitations on how websites can be designed.
- Although there are lots of apps, these can offer only basic functions at times.
- There is no free plan.
- Poor potential to rank on search engines.
- Basic: $14 per month
- Team: $22 per month
- Agency: $44 per month
- Custom: Price based on needs
Pixpa – All-in-one Website Builder for Photographers, Creators, and Businesses
Pixpa is an all-in-one, easy-to-use website builder designed to empower photographers, creative professionals, and business owners to create beautiful, professional websites effortlessly, without touching a single line of code.
- Easy to use, a no-code platform that is suitable for both beginners and experts.
- A wide range of pixel-perfect, professional, and responsive templates.
- Support for custom CSS and HTML overrides
- Free, website set-up service with Expert and Business tier plans.
- Full-featured client proofing platform for photographers.
- Comprehensive SEO and in-built marketing tools
- Extensive e-commerce tools and online store builder.
- Zero commissions are charged on sales made through your website.
- Compatible with over 50+ third-party integrations.
- Free SSL security on all websites.
- 24×7 customer support on all pricing tiers.
- No free plans. Pixpa is a paid service.
- Custom domain names must be purchased from a third party.
- Light – $3 per month (billed annually)
- Personal – $7 per month (billed annually)
- Expert – $10 per month (billed annually)
- Business – $16 per month (billed annually)
GoDaddy – The Best Website Builder for Services
GoDaddy is one of the most well-known web hosts.
However, it also has a website builder.
In the past, it has been criticized but it has drastically improved in the last few years.
- The GoDaddy website builder has a simple interface.
- It is the perfect web builder tool for those who have no technical skills.
- The pricing plans are rather cost-effective in comparison to other options.
- You must have a custom domain to be hosted on the GoDaddy servers.
- Perfect for those who want to have a professional website.
- Can add email marketing tools to your website with ease.
- There is a lack of creative freedom when using the GoDaddy website builder.
- The finished web design isn’t going to be as polished as you get with other options.
- There is limited eCommerce functionality that you can have on GoDaddy websites.
- The functionality of the website tools can be lacking.
- Basic: $9.99 per month
- Standard: $14.99 per month
- Premium: $19.99 per month
- E-commerce: $24.99 per month
WordPress.com – Best Website Design for Blogging
WordPress.com should not get confused with the WordPress.org websites that have similar functionalities but there are differences.
WordPress.org is a self-hosted WordPress option.
WordPress.com is the hosted version.
- Don’t have to worry about self-hosting a WordPress website.
- A free website building and hosting solution.
- Lots of great themes have been developed for websites.
- There is eCommerce functionality available on the website.
- Lots of support is available both from those behind WordPress.com and from expert website developers.
- A perfect blogging platform that can give you a wider reach.
- A great network of users.
- Limited design possibilities when compared to WordPress.org.
- Fewer options for functionalities than there are with WordPress.org.
- WordPress.com is not open-source software.
- Adverts are included on free plans.
- Free: $0 per month
- Personal: $4 per month
- Premium: $8 per month
- Business: $25 per month
- E-commerce: $45 per month
Jimdo Creator – Best Website Builder for Those on a Budget
Jimdo Creator is advertised as one of the fastest website-building tools.
The hosted solution only requires the website owner to have a browser to create their website.
This is great for those who don’t have previous experience.
- A cost-effective web builder tool.
- The free plan is very generous to users.
- A very easy-to-use web design tool.
- Comes with an SSL certificate.
- Lots of different templates that are responsive.
- Can switch templates when you want to change designs and not lose content.
- You’re able to make customizations to the HTML and CSS files.
- The support available for your website is very limited.
- There are fewer templates available than on other platforms.
- You cannot import or export content/data.
- Play: $0 per month
- Start: $9 per month
- Grow: $15 per month
- Basic (eCommerce): $15 per month
- Business (eCommerce): $19 per month
1&1 IONOS – Best Website Designer with Support
1&1 IONOS website design tool is a great option for those who would like to have support in the background.
Like with many website builders, hosting is provided by the 1&1 IONOS infrastructure.
There are numerous different hosting options available to business owners.
- A very beginner-friendly user interface that new website owners can use.
- The editor is very powerful and there are lots of customization options.
- There are lots of widgets that can add tools and functionality to your website.
- There are numerous templates that can be used and customized.
- You’re able to have a free SSL certificate.
- You can improve your website’s speed with access to Cloudflare CDN.
- There is also support for your website via email.
- The templates on offer aren’t as good as other web hosting solutions that come with a web design tool.
- There is no free plan available.
- The interface is a little dated.
- Starter: $5 per month
- Online Store: $15 per month
- Online Store Advanced: $25 per month
- Online Store Expert: $45 per month
Shopify – The Best eCommerce Platform
Shopify is a well-known eCommerce website builder.
It is a simple to use platform that can help anyone build an online store within minutes.
- Allows you to choose from lots of different themes, both free and premium.
- Lots of different ways that you can take payments on Shopify.
- Great for small and large eCommerce stores as well as other businesses.
- Can use third-party themes and apps for added functionality.
- Easy to use drag and drop web builder.
- All-in-one web hosting solution with custom domain and SSL certificate.
- The costs can quickly spiral out of control with lots of subscriptions for apps.
- Many themes have limited customization options.
- Limited chances to import/export your website to another platform in the future.
- Poor blogging features.
- Basic Shopify: $29 per month
- Shopify: $79 per month
- Advanced Shopify: $299 per month
- Shopify Plus: On Request
Elementor – Best Website Builder for WordPress Websites
Elementor is one of the best website-building tools that can be used on self-hosted WordPress websites.
It is a plugin that can be added to any open-source WordPress website and can enhance the building process.
- A free plugin that can be added to a self-hosted WordPress website.
- Website builder software that can add functionality to your web design interface.
- You can add functionality with lots of different add-ons with ease.
- Drag and drop interface that is easy to use.
- Advanced features for those who want to add custom code and more to the website.
- A very flexible option.
- Not restricted to where you host your website, the custom domain, and the pricing level.
- Can sometimes be challenging for those new to web design.
- Costs can sometimes rise quickly with different add-ons.
- Can only be used with WordPress websites.
- Base Website Builder Software: Free
Constant Contact – The Best for Website Analytics
While Constant Contact is more known as an email marketing service, it also offers a generous website design tool.
This tool is perfect for those looking to combine their email marketing with their website design.
- You’re not overwhelmed with the options when you’re building your website.
- Easy to create a simple website within minutes.
- There is a free plan that offers generous options for building a website.
- Perfect for those who want to combine their website with a strong email marketing process.
- There is an analytical suite that can provide lots of information.
- Is designed for simple websites only.
- Template designs are very basic and not very aesthetically pleasing.
- The interface to help you build your website can suffer from bugs.
- Free Plan: $0 per month
- Starter Plan: $10 per month
- Business Plus Plan: $20 per month
Network Solutions – Best Website Builder for Templates
Network Solutions isn’t the most well-known option on the list, however, it is a viable option.
There are a lot of hosting options including shared, WordPress, and an eCommerce premium plan.
- There are lots of great templates that look really impressive.
- Templates have great customization options with a drag-and-drop page builder.
- No need to have any technical skills to customize your website.
- A range of eCommerce tools that allows you to build a professional website.
- Lots of 1-click installations for popular apps.
- You can claim a free custom domain if you have long-term registration.
- There is a complex interface that some people might not be able to use.
- The support team doesn’t offer much help when you need it.
- There are hidden features that can make your website perform worse.
- Starter: $5.69 per month
- Essential: $9.96 per month
- Professional: $15.78 per month
- Premium: $21.62 per month
Zoho Sites – Best All Round Website Builder
Zoho is a great website builder for those who want a simple tool to design their website.
The drag and drop interface makes it really easy to take a template and then turn that into a customized website design within minutes.
- Has a very organized interface that makes it easy to find what you’re looking for.
- There are lots of design and customization options giving you lots of flexibility.
- Is built on HTML and CSS for better website performance.
- Easy management of media files on your website.
- Easy blogging features allow you to create expert advice on your store.
- Is brilliant for any niche with a range of themes and functions.
- A free SSL certificate to make your website secure.
- There isn’t a huge number of templates to choose from.
- You don’t get much storage space for your website.
- There are other limitations such as the number of pages on your website, how media images can be displayed, etc.
- Starter: $5 per month
- Pro: $17 per month
BigCommerce – Best Website Builder for Online Stores
BigCommerce is a hosted eCommerce tool that allows you to build a great eCommerce website but only if you’ve got some technical expertise.
- Is perfect for building an eCommerce store within minutes.
- There are 12 free themes and more than 100 premium themes that you can use.
- Easy customization options for your website’s theme.
- There are lots of apps available that increase functionality on your website.
- You’re able to have multiple sales channels managed from your website’s dashboard.
- Integrate social media, email marketing, and more in one website.
- No transaction fees are incurred when you sell on your eCommerce store.
- Limitations on how much you can sell on certain plans, require you to upgrade.
- There is no free plan available, you must have a paid plan.
- Some templates are harder to customize.
- The abandoned cart function is not included in the Basic plan.
- Takes time to build a website, this is not a quick website building option.
- Standard: $29.95 per month
- Plus: $79.95 per month
- Pro: $299.95 per month
Webflow – The Best Website Designer for Agencies
Webflow is a premium website design that allows you to take your professional website to the next level.
- Website hosting options move towards a more optimized hosting solution for better speed.
- There are lots of unique, professional-looking website templates.
- Many customization options for your website.
- All templates are responsive, and looking aesthetically pleasing on any device.
- You get a free SSL certificate.
- Lots of in-depth, intuitive videos to train you in web design.
- Those used to working with the creative cloud will find Webflow easy to use.
- You’re not able to transfer code from your website.
- Can’t export data that is stored within your CMS.
- Fairly challenging to use, and not a great option for new website owners.
- Basic: $12 per month
- CMS: $16 per month
- Business: $36 per month
- Standard (eCommerce): $29 per month
- Plus (eCommerce): $74 per month
- Advanced (eCommerce): $212 per month
HostGator – Best Website Designer with Hosting
The Gator website builder is one of the most used across the world.
It can offer hosting that is very cost-effective and easy to use.
- Is one of the easiest web design tools available.
- Has perfect social media integration to help you build social proof.
- The signup prices are very cost-effective.
- You can switch themes when you want to without losing content.
- There are some attractive, modern website templates that you can use.
- You can sell digital downloads with ease.
- Every paid plan comes with some form of accepting payments.
- Is better suited for simple websites.
- There are a few photo editing options that other website builders require.
- There is little support or help from the development team.
- You cannot schedule blog posts.
- Starter: $9.98 per month
- Premium: $12.98 per month
- eCommerce: $24.98 per month
Bluehost – Best Open Source Website Builder
Bluehost uses the self-hosted WordPress approach to its website builder.
That is, you have a WordPress website that Bluehost will help you build your website.
- Uses open-source WordPress base software which is very familiar to many.
- Makes building a self-hosted WordPress website easier.
- Has a section-based design that is easier for those new to WordPress to design a website.
- Still have access to the normal WordPress features and customization options.
- Can add lots of website functionality through plugins.
- Add your own custom domain and get a free SSL certificate.
- Support staff doesn’t always have the skills to help you when you need it most.
- There are constant attempts to upsell plans.
- Basic: $9.99 per month
- Plus: $13.99 per month
- Choice Plus: $18.99 per month
- Pro: $28.99 per month
Dorik – Best No-Code Website Builder
Dorik is a fast-growing website-building platform with a ton of cutting-edge features that makes it lucrative for both beginners and pros alike.
Anyone can build a fully-functional website within minutes on Dorik without writing a single line of code or having any design experience.
- It offers unlimited hosting storage with all the premium plans.
- It hosts all the websites on AWS and DigitalOcean cloud servers which are the best in the business.
- The drag-and-drop builder is versatile, flexible, and user-friendly.
- It has a wide range of professional-looking template collections that are mobile-responsive and fully customizable.
- It has a low to zero learning curve.
- Dedicated budget-friendly CMS plans with lots of exciting features like membership, premium templates, white label dashboards, native SEO, global CDN, etc.
- Provides reliable and verified site security with a free SSL/TLS certificate with all the sites.
- It offers many integration options for site analytics, payment processing, improved user experience, and more.
- There are no e-commerce functionalities available.
- You can’t switch templates mid-project.
Pricing: (Billed annually)
- Free plan
- CMS Plans
- Personal – $48 per year
- Agency – $399 per year
- Agency Plus – $649 per year
- Classic Plans
- Starter – $79 per year
- Premium – $199 per year
What is the most popular website builder?
There are numerous contenders for the most popular website builder title.
The choice is between a self-hosted WordPress builder, Squarespace, Wix, and Shopify.
Each can claim the title within a specific website niche.
For instance, Squarespace websites are often used as portfolio websites, whereas Shopify is a great eCommerce platform.
What are the largest website builders?
The largest website builders are also some of the most popular: WordPress and Shopify.
These both offer different niches.
For instance, WordPress offers a great Content Management System that offers great blogging functionalities.
Those looking for an eCommerce platform can use Shopify that offers great eCommerce tools for selling online across the world.
Which website builder software do professional web designers use?
Professional websites are designed by agencies using a variety of tools.
However, WordPress.com, Squarespace, and Wix are often used by designers.
It will often depend on the client’s needs.
For instance, some professional web designers will use BigCommerce and Shopify if these are better platforms for the customer.
What’s the easiest website builder?
There are numerous website builders that are easy to use.
One of the best builders is Squarespace.
This has lots of great templates that can be easily customized for your specific needs.
Squarespace also has several online tutorials to help.
Squarespace also comes with a cost-effective set of plans and SSL certificates.
What is the best website builder for a portfolio site?
Squarespace is one of the best website builders for those who want a portfolio website.
There are templates that are specifically designed for photographers, artists, and visual bloggers.
Squarespace is also simple to use allowing you to spend more time on your work rather than website management.
Popular Website Builder according to Reddit:
Weebly is highly recommended and lives up to expectations. Also, consider checking out Mobirise for good designs with drag and drop features. Squarespace and WordPress are good options too. Squarespace for its beautiful templates and user-friendly interface.
You might be interested to check those related posts as well:
- Best Landing Page Builders in 2023 [Learn Digital Marketing]
- Elementor Review 2023: Is It the Best WordPress Page Builder [on the Market]?
- Wix Review 2023 [Pros, Cons and User Reviews]
There are numerous website builders that are available.
Depending on your needs, each can help you create a simple website or a more complex eCommerce platform.