With anything good comes trouble, and the internet is no exception. These days, we put a great deal of our personal information online, both willingly and unknowingly.
Many with ill intent take advantage of this every day and exploit the lack of security.
Here are 9 SSL stats to push for better internet encryption!
SSL Certificate Statistics 2023
- The top 5 countries to use SSL by default are the United States, the United Kingdom, Russia, Germany, and Japan.
- There are about 30 million known websites in the US that use SSL by default.
- The top-ranking SSL certificate vendor is Sectigo which has a 40.41% market share, with about 5.5 million companies using it.
SSL Implementation Statistics 2023
- On average, over 2 million SSL certificates are issued a day.
- In 2020, 56% of enterprises worldwide said encryption was extensively deployed on their internet communications.
- On a grading scale of A+ meaning exceptional configuration and F meaning exploitable or patchable programs/insecure protocols, 32% of US websites received an F for their SSL configurations.
SSL and Cybersecurity Statistics 2023
- From 2018 to 2019 there was a 167% increase in HTTPS URLs hosting malicious content.
- In 2019 roughly 60% of malware attacks were URL-based.
- Roughly 90% of organizations around the world experience targeted phishing attacks in 2019.
What is the SSL rate?
There are plenty of free SSL certificate options, but depending on your site needs you may want to pay more for better quality.
On average, SSL certificates cost around $60 annually. However, they can cost up to $1,000 a year. However, they can cost up to $1,000 a year. Although, many SSL providers offer low-cost or cheap SSL certificates from various SSL certificate authorities. Even these providers offer discounts on SSL renewals too.
What percentage of end-user traffic is SSL encrypted?
Google estimates that 95% of its traffic users have encryption protocols.
What percentage of websites are currently SSL?
Only 6.3% of the top 100k websites are SSL compliant. Encrypted internet traffic is currently around 85%.
To battle against the countless malware, there are numerous SSL certificates, many being free. Although malware is constantly evolving to breach encrypted sites, something is better than nothing.
Even though somebody could break your window, you still lock your door, right?
The previous SSL stats should outline the importance of cybersecurity.
- SSL Certificates Market Share Report | Competitor Analysis | Sectigo, The USERTRUST Network, DigiCert
- SSL by Default Usage Statistics
- Let’s Encrypt Stats – Let’s Encrypt
- How Much Does an SSL Certificate Cost in 2022?
- The encryption technology used by business area FY2020 | Statista
- Report: 32% of top US Companies Receive an F in SSL/TLS
- [Infographic] The 3 Ts of Email Attacks: Tactics | Techniques | Targets
- What Are the Types of SSL?
- 2020 ‘State of the Phish’: Security Awareness Training, Email Reporting More Critical as Targeted Attacks Spike | Proofpoint US
- SSL Stats: Why Is Online Security Important in 2022? | WBL
- What Are the Types of SSL?