Founded by three software engineers, Rackspace was initially a software development company.
Today, Rackspace is a large multinational cloud computing software hosting company based out of Windcrest, Texas.
General Rackspace Stats and Facts 2023
- Rackspace has offices in Blacksburg, VA, and Austin, TX, as well as in Australia, the UK, Canada, Dubai, Switzerland, India, the Netherlands, Mexico, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Germany.
- Rackspace was launched in October 1998 by Richard Yoo and remains based out of Windcrest, TX.
- Apollo Global Management bought Rackspace for $4.3 billion in November 2016, at which point the company finished trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
- 7,200 employees currently work for Rackspace.
Rackspace Market Share Statistics 2023
- There are currently 2,240,994 websites that are historical Rackspace customers.
- Of the roughly 2.25 million Rackspace customer websites, there are around 555,958 which are currently live.
- Rackspace Technology is used by a higher proportion of high-traffic sites than rivals Google, GoDaddy, and OVH, but by a smaller proportion than Amazon.
- Rackspace Technology is used by fewer sites overall than its largest competitors in the Cloud computing industry.
- Rackspace Technology has a 0.96% share of the market.
Rackspace User Statistics 2023
- Rackspace is currently the 6th most popular hosting site in the top 100,000 US-listed sites.
- In the ‘Dedicated Hosting’ category, Rackspace is the 4th most popular company out of the top 1 million sites listed.
- Rackspace is used as a data center provider by 0.4% of all websites worldwide.
- One of the biggest, most popular sites using Rackspace is Office365.com.
Rackspace Revenue Stats 2023
- Rackspace first opened for public trading on the New York Stock Exchange in August 2008, following an initial public offering at which it raised $187.5 million.
- The initial stock share price of Rackspace at the IPO – $12.50 – decreased by about 20% almost immediately upon listing on Wall Street.
- In August 2020, the newly-named Rackspace Technology opened for trading on the Nasdaq after an IPO of 33,500,000 shares (offered at $21 per share).
- During the first quarter of 2011 alone, Rackspace netted $230 million in revenue.
- During the first quarter of 2021, Rackspace reported record net revenue of $726 million (up 11% year-over-year)
- In the year 2020, Rackspace Technology reported a net loss of $245 million (more than twice the loss of the previous year, though around just half of that was reported in 2018).
Additional Rackspace Statistics 2023
- In 2000, Rackspace received some much-needed funding from investors Norwest Venture Partners and Sequoia Capital.
- Rackspace was listed as the 32nd ‘Best Company to Work For’ by Fortune in 2008
- Rackspace was ranked on Fortune’s “Top 100 Best Companies to Work For” again in 2011 and then in 2013.
- The company regularly holds ‘open book’ meetings in which management shares detailed information on the company’s finances with all employees.
- Of Rackspace’s 7,200 employees, only 26% are women, whilst some 74% are men.
- Most of Rackspace’s employees (46% to be exact) are white, whilst 25% are ethnically Latinx, and 14% are Asian.
- The average expectancy of an employee’s working time at Rackspace is 4.5 years.
- The average salary of a Rackspace employee is $92,615 per year.
You might be interested to check those related posts as well:
- 117 Latest Web Hosting Stats 2023 [Facts and Trends]
- Amazing Voice Search Stats 2023 [Facts and Trends]
- 40+ Big ERP Statistics [for Your Buying Decisions] 2023
Rackspace is a respectably large multinational company with offices all around the world.
According to employees working for Rackspace Technology, as well as Fortune, it is also a pretty pleasant place to work. Though Rackspace has reported an overall loss for the last few years, its revenue continues to increase year-over-year.
Here is a list of all of the sources used in the creation of this list of the top Rackspace facts and figures:
- Channel Insider
- W3 Techs