Gone are the days of having to type everything into your search engine.
Nowadays, we’ve got voice search technology, which means we can do our searching hands-free.
When Google first introduced it in 2011, voice search was more of a novelty than anything else.
However, speech recognition technology has vastly improved, which has catapulted voice search to the top of search marketing.
If you’d like to learn more about how smart speakers and voice search is changing the habits of the consumer, the following voice search stats and voice search trends will be helpful.
General Voice Search Stats 2023
- According to Google, 25% of people globally now use voice search on their mobiles.
- In 2020, more than half of all smartphone users were taking advantage of voice tech.
- 63% of marketers agree that it’s extremely important that a voice app is available for smartphone users.
- 71% of consumers prefer to ask a voice search query rather than typing.
- One billion voice searches take place every month.
- 20% of the total number of Google search engine searches on mobile are voice-activated.
Voice Search Usage Stats
Voice Search Popularity Statistics
- People still prefer to use their mobile devices for web browsing, but voice searching is now in second place.
- 71% of consumers who wear devices say they plan to use voice search more in the future.
Frequency of Voice Search
- In 2020, more than half of people using a voice-activated speaker use it almost every day or a few times a day.
- By 2022, as many as 70% of consumers may be using voice to shop rather than visiting a brick-and-mortar store.
Reasons for Using Voice Search
- Around half of the consumers now use a voice command to find out about products.
- More than half of consumers use voice shopping for their groceries.
- 48% of people who own voice-activated speakers want to receive information from brands and personalized tips.
- An increasing number of consumers use voice search when playing music or watching movies.
- You can now get your morning news by voice request on a smart speaker.
- 35% of users use voice assistants to check the news and weather.
Voice Commerce Stats
- 51% of voice search users say they like to use a smart device for researching products.
- 22% of those same consumers make purchases through a smart speaker device.
What People Are Doing When They Use Voice Search
- 50% of US drivers say they have used voice search while driving around.
- 68% of consumers say they like using a voice assistant because it allows them to multitask and complete tasks hands-free.
Voice Search Demographic Stats
- Millennials are currently the most prominent voice searchers, although many other age groups, including seniors, are also using voice query devices.
- Men use voice search more than women.
- In the 25-49 age group, 65% speak to their voice-enabled devices at least once per day.
- The 18-24 demographic has helped drive the early adoption of voice technology the most.
Voice Search Mobile Stats
- It takes just 4.6 seconds to load a voice search results page, compared to 8.8 seconds for a regular page.
- Mobile users are three times more likely to use voice search.
- 71% of wearable device owners plan to use their voice devices more in the future.
- 1 out of 4 people aged 16 to 24 uses mobile voice search.
Voice Search Device Stats
- Predictions are that by 2022, 55% of US households will own a smart speaker.
- More than half of all smart speaker owners use their devices daily.
- In 2020, 30% of searches took place on voice-enabled devices with no screen.
- Amazon’s Alexa is the leading US virtual assistant with a market share of 38%.
Voice Search SEO Stats
- Nearly one-fifth of all voice search queries are triggered by a set of 25 keywords, such as “what” or “how,” and adjectives such as “easy” or “best.”
- 76% of smart speaker users perform a local search at least once a week.
- 46% of users look for local business information every day.
- Restaurants are the most commonly voice-searched businesses.
- 28% of voice searchers go on to call the business they voice-searched.
- Phone calls convert to ten to fifteen times more revenue than web leads.
- Voice search has quickly become an essential part of Search Engine Optimization and a local SEO strategy.
- Voice search optimization improves visibility and significantly affects your ranking on search engines.
Voice Search Marketing Stats
- 71% of company executives believe voice search improves the customer experience.
- 66% think it helps to boost revenue and drive conversion rates.
- Phone calls convert to 10-15x more revenue than web leads.
- Compared to other forms of engagement, 84% of digital marketing experts report that phone calls have higher conversion rates and larger order values.
- More than one-third of consumers say voice ads are less intrusive and more engaging than ads on TV, print, online, and social media.
Voice Assistant Stats
- By 2023, as many as 8 billion devices will have voice assistant capabilities.
- Smart speakers will outnumber tablets by the end of 2021.
- 65% of Amazon Echo and Google Homeowners say they can’t imagine going back to not having a smart speaker.
- Microsoft’s Cortana has a 2% US market penetration.
- Smart speakers rely on complex artificial intelligence (AI) technologies and listen to natural language sound waves before converting them into words.
Siri Voice Search Stats
- Apple’s Siri is the most popular smart speaker among adult Gen Z users.
- In 2018, Apple proudly announced there were 500 million devices worldwide that used Siri digital assistants.
- 98% of mobile phone users have tried Siri, but most choose not to use it.
- 62% of Siri users use it in their cars.
Google Voice Search Statistics
- Google speech recognition is now available for voice assistant users in more than 100 languages.
- Four hundred million devices now support Google Assistant.
- When it comes to accuracy, Google Home answers 81% of smart speaker queries accurately.
Voice Search Future Stats
- By 2030, the AI-based and voice recognition market should reach $27.3 billion globally.
- Voice-driven shopping could hit $40 billion by 2022.
- By the end of 2021, the smart speaker market will be more than 25.6 million people.
You might be interested to check those related posts as well:
- Top 9 Intelligent Document Processing Systems [IDP] for 2023
- Top 3 and other Recommended Email Parsing Software for 2023
- 120+ Powerful B2B Marketing Stats and Trends 
Voice search trends and statistics show that voice search is more than a passing trend.
It’s gaining widespread acceptance rapidly, and it looks like it’s here to stay.
No wonder the stats are so impressive.
It’s easier to speak with a voice assistant than type, and a voice search is faster.
Wait a couple of years, and who knows, half of all online searches could be by voice.
We found the statistics we’ve used for this post by visiting various websites, including: