If you’ve never heard of Microsoft before, you must have been living on a desert island.
It’s almost always in the limelight and has a reputation for pushing technology boundaries time and time again.
The following stats and facts will show how much the company has become a force to be reckoned with in the world of tech.
Key Microsoft Stats and Facts
- Microsoft was launched in 1975 by its founders, Bill Gates and Paul Allen
- The market value of Microsoft is $2 trillion
- There are 181,000 full-time employees working for Microsoft
- Between 2018 and now, Microsoft has increased its workforce by 50,000
- Microsoft stock has grown more than 600% since 2014
- Microsoft invests profits in further development and in projects around the world
Microsoft Market Share Statistics
- Microsoft is the second most valuable company in the world, behind Apple
- Microsoft Office enjoys a market share of almost 50% of the office productivity software market
- Windows and Android are the two biggest operating systems, both of which are owned by Microsoft
- 90% of Chinese companies use Microsoft’s OS, but only 1% pay for the privilege
Microsoft Users Statistics
- 20,000 organizations were using Azure by October 2019
- In 2020, the number of Microsoft Office users rose 21% to 258 million
- More than two-thirds of Fortune 500 companies use Microsoft 365 under a license
- In 2020, Microsoft Office 365 had 258 million monthly active users
- Almost 50% of the world uses Microsoft
Microsoft Usage Stats
- Microsoft is a major cloud service provider
- Microsoft’s main competitors in the cloud market segment are Salesforce, IBM, and Amazon
- 115 million people were using OneDrive by 2017
- More than 669,000 apps are available in the Microsoft Windows store
- 32% of Windows Store app downloads are games
Microsoft Bing Statistics
- According to Microsoft Bing statistics, it is the #2 global search engine and has a 3.14% market share
- Among US console users, Bing’s market share is 38.46%
- There are more than 1 billion Bing visits every day
- Bing enjoys a #28 ranking in global internet connectivity
- 33% of Bing traffic comes from the United States
- Users spend, on average, 2 minutes and 51 seconds using Bing.com
- 55% of searches made on the Microsoft Search Network are related to research for online products
Microsoft Windows Usage Statistics
- Windows is used by 76.13% of desktop devices
- In March 2020, there were a reported 1 billion Windows 10 users
- In 2021, there were 1.3 billion users of Microsoft’s operating system
Microsoft Teams Usage Statistics
- Microsoft Teams statistics show that the number of Microsoft Teams users increased by 894% between March and June 2020
- Between 2019 and 2020, the number of Microsoft Team users increased from 20 million to 115 million
- 80 million people use their phones when using Microsoft Teams
- When it comes down to gender, more than 70% of Teams users are male
- According to Microsoft Teams adoption statistics, the majority of Teams users are in the 35-54 age group
Microsoft Brand Loyalty Statistics
- On Comparably, female and male Microsoft customers gave the brand an 87 in terms of Customer Loyalty Score
- When customer loyalty was measured using the NPS metric, Microsoft got a very poor score of -8
Microsoft Software Stats
- Microsoft brands/subsidiaries include LinkedIn, Skype, Yammer, Minecraft, GitHub, Windows, Xbox, Office, Edge, Bing, Azure, Surface, and Teams
- 85% of Fortune 500 companies use Microsoft OneDrive
- As of Dec 2017, there have been 10 million downloads of Microsoft Launcher
- In 2014, Microsoft paid $2.5 billion for Minecraft
- In 2016, Microsoft paid $26.2 billion to LinkedIn
- 600 million people use Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Revenue Statistics
- Microsoft’s global revenue reached more than 168 billion US$ in 2021
- In 2021, its net income was at a record high of 61.3 billion US$
- Much of Microsoft’s revenue traditionally came from software and operating system license fees
- 2% of Microsoft’s revenue comes from China
Interesting Facts About Microsoft
- Microsoft has been based in Redmond since 1986
- Bill Gates, one of Microsoft’s founders, is one of the richest men in the US
- Steve Ballmer, the former Microsoft CEO, is also one of the richest men in the US
- In 1987, Bill Gates earned himself the title of the youngest billionaire in the world
- In 2019, Microsoft was recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality” as part of a Human Rights Campaign
- In 2020, Microsoft awarded 150 grants to help support projects related to COVID-19
What percentage of the world uses Microsoft?
As of 2022, approximately 1.4 billion people and businesses use Microsoft services or products.
What percentage of the market does Microsoft have?
Microsoft has a 43% of the global operating systems market.
What percentage of Microsoft does Bill Gates own?
When Bill Gates stepped down from the Microsoft board, he owned around 1% of the company’s shares.
What percentage of large enterprises use Microsoft Office?
83% of enterprises use Microsoft Office.
What percentage of money does Microsoft make from software?
The main revenue sources are cloud services and server products (31% of revenue), Office services and products (24%), Windows (14%), and Gaming (9%).
What percentage of companies use Microsoft Access?
Microsoft Access is bundled into the Microsoft Office suite. Excel, Powerpoint, and Office are more popular, but Access still has an 11% market share.
Microsoft may have started out with the idea that it wanted to bring home computing to the masses, but it has become so much more since its launch in 1975.
The user-friendly operating system is used by millions of people around the world, but a portfolio of amazing services and products has since been added.
As you can see from the statistics, Microsoft can be considered a true American success story as it has been at or at least near the top of its industry for many years.
The following sources were used when compiling these Microsoft stats:
- Web Tribunal
- Wall Street Zen
- Business of Apps
- Earth Web
- WP Oven
- Tom Talks
- Startup Bonsai
- Market US
- Beta News