Nowadays, we can barely live without the internet.
The number of Internet users is growing every year, and with it, the number of active websites.
Since every website needs a host to exist on the Internet, it is logical that the web hosting industry is growing considerably.
There are many different web hosting providers worldwide, powering almost 2 billion websites registered on the internet.
If you are looking to launch your website, you will need a web hosting provider.
Understanding the web hosting industry in more detail will help you choose the right one for your website needs.
In this article, we will share the 117 latest web hosting stats, facts, and trends for 2023.
General Web Hosting Stats
- As of 2021, there are over 330,000 web hosting providers globally.
- As of 2021, over 1.8 billion websites are registered on the internet, but only 25% of those websites are active.
- Active websites account for 15.5% of all registered websites on the internet.
- Ten leading web hosting providers dominate 56.4% of the global web hosting market.
- North America has the most hosting providers.
- The US hosts over 50 million domains, accounting for approximately 27% of all web domains registered.
- China is the country with the second-highest number of domains registered (16 million).
- 34% of all websites are built on WordPress.
- GoDaddy is one of the most popular web hosting providers in the US.
- The USA is the country with the most hosted domains (107,346,685 domains).
Web Hosting Market Share & Size
- As of 2021, there are approximately 5,000 web hosting providers in North America, 3,000 web hosting providers in Europe, and less than 2,000 web hosting providers in Asia.
- As of 2021, the global web hosting industry is worth approximately $71.1 billion.
- The total value of the web hosting industry was evaluated at $56.7 billion in 2019.
- In 2019, the shared hosting market revenue share was 37.64%.
- North America held over 35% of the global web hosting market share in 2019.
- As of 2021, the US holds over 51% of the global web hosting market share.
- In 2019, enterprises accounted for over 90% of web hosting clients globally, while less than 10% were individual clients.
- In 2020, the web hosting market size in North America was evaluated at $34.32 billion.
- 27.61% of all active and inactive websites use Apache hosting servers.
- 26.06% of all active and inactive websites use Microsoft hosting servers.
- 25.68% of all active and inactive websites use NGINX hosting servers
- The leading web hosting technology worldwide is Amazon Hosting, with a 4.87% market share.
Web Hosting Economic Impact Statistics
- On average, shared web hosting costs range from $2 to $8 per month.
- On average, VPS hosting costs start at $20 per month.
- 84% of customers say they don’t buy because of a poor online experience.
- 76% of customers say that a poor online experience makes them think negatively about the business.
- It is estimated that the average hourly server downtime costs between $300,000 and $400,000.
- In 2020, the domain name industry in the US was valued at $7 billion.
- Slow websites cost the US economy approximately $500 million every year.
- In 2020, the dedicated web hosting market share reached $6.53 billion.
- In 2020, the shared web hosting market share reached $22 billion.
Web Hosting Providers Statistics
- Wix.com is the most popular hosted website solution globally, hosting over 3.8 million websites, accounting for 30% of the global hosted solution industry.
- Squarespace accounts for 19% of the global hosted solution industry.
- Shopify accounts for 13% of the global hosted solution industry.
- In 2019, WordPress powered 33% of the top 10 million websites on the internet.
- In 2019, WordPress controlled over 60% of the total CMS market share worldwide.
- In 2019, Joomla controlled approximately 5.2% of the total CMS market share worldwide, while Droopla controlled 3.4%.
- WordPress powers around 22% of all new websites in the United States.
- Aliyun is the top choice web hosting provider in China.
- WebFusion, FastHost, and Names.co.uk are the three most popular web hosting providers in the UK.
- As of 2021, Namecheap and Hostinger are the cheapest web-hosting providers
- GoDaddy (10.08%), BlueHost (9.61%), HostGator (5.01%), Hostinger (4.08%), and NameCheap (2.6%) are the top 5 most popular hosting services among WordPress users.
GoDaddy Web Hosting Statistics
- GoDaddy is the largest web hosting provider globally, hosting approximately 52 million websites.
- GoDaddy hosts around 15.2% of all websites worldwide.
- In 2019, GoDaddy’s revenue was estimated at $2.988 billion.
- GoDaddy offers over 77 million domain names.
- As of 2021, GoDaddy has over 8,000 employees around the world.
- GoDaddy is the leader in the web hosting market globally.
- GoDaddy owns two other web hosting providers: Media Temple and Host Europe Group.
NewFold Digital Web Hosting Statistics
- NewFold Digital is the biggest web hosting and domain registration company globally.
- NewFold Digital was launched on February 10th, 2021, by merging Endurance International Group (EIG) with Web.com.
- As of 2021, NewFold Digital owns over 70 different web hosting brands.
- NewFold Digital is a parent company for many web-hosting providers, such as BlueHost and HostGator.
- NewFold Digital brand hosts approximately 5% of all websites worldwide.
- Out of all NewFold Digital web-hosting providers, HostGator is the biggest, hosting 32.9% of all NewFold Digital hosted websites.
- NewFoldDigital acquired HostGator for $299.8 million.
- NewFold Digital has over 5 million customers worldwide across all the web hosting companies that they own.
Google Cloud Platform Statistics
- In 2020, Google Cloud reached $13 billion in revenue.
- Google Cloud’s revenue in 2020 accounted for 7.2% of Google’s total revenues.
- In 2021, Google Cloud reported a 46% revenue increase from the previous year.
- In 2021, Google Cloud Platform (GCP) held 4.6% of the total web hosting market share.
- Currently, over 8 million active websites use Google Cloud hosting.
- Wix.com is powered by Google Cloud hosting.
- Big companies, such as Spotify, Snapchat, and Coca-Cola, use the Google Cloud Platform.
- Google Cloud Platform is the second largest web hosting provider globally, hosting around 6.10% of websites worldwide.
Amazon Web Services Statistics
- As of 2021, 8.9% of all websites worldwide are hosted by Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- AWS powers businesses in 190 countries.
- Currently, AWS has more than 100,000 active customers globally.
- In 2020, AWS hit $45,370 million in revenue.
- Netflix is powered by AWS and accounts for one-third of the worldwide Internet traffic during peak usage times.
1&1 IONOS Statistics
- 1&1 IONOS is the third-largest web hosting provider in the world.
- As of 2021, 1&1 IONOS held 6.7% of the total web hosting market share.
- 1&1 IONOS is one of the most popular web hosting providers in Europe.
- In Germany, 1&1 IONOS is the top web hosting provider, chosen by 26.47% of customers.
- Currently, 1&1 IONOS employs over 7,000 people.
- 1&1 IONOS’s services are available in 10 countries across Europe and North America.
- In 2021, 1&1 IONOS hosted over 19 million domain names.
Web Domain Name Statistics
- As of 2021, .com domains account for over 40% of all domains.
- The second most popular domain is .tk, accounting for 7.4% of all domains.
- Approximately 50% of domain registrations come from an unknown place.
- 20% of all domains are registered in the US.
- Less than 5% of all registered domains come from China.
- According to the Global Phishing Report, .tk is the most popular domain extension chosen by scammers.
- Cars.com was the most expensive domain name ever sold, at $872 million.
- The most expensive domains in the world are carinsurance.com ($49.7 million), insurance.com ($35.6 million), privatejet.com ($30.18million), hotels.com ($11 million), fb.com ($8.5 million), and business.com ($7.5 million).
- The average cost of a domain name is between $8 to $15 annually.
- GoDaddy is the most popular domain registrar globally, with 14.5% of all domain name registrations worldwide.
- Namecheap is the second most popular domain registrar globally, with 2.79% of all domain name registrations worldwide.
- In 2020, there was a 3% increase in the number of domain name registrations.
- On average, 900,000 new domain names are registered per week globally
- The first domain name suffixes on the internet were: .com, .gov, .edu, .us, .net, .org, .co.uk, .co.il, and .co.us.
Web Hosting Interesting Facts
- Web hosting is available on every continent except Antarctica.
- As of January 2021, the total number of internet users worldwide was 4.66 billion.
- Symbolics.com is the first .com domain registered on the internet. It was registered on March 15, 1985.
- The first-ever website was published on August 6, 1991.
- The most popular CMS in the world is WordPress.
- Bots are responsible for 51.8% of all internet traffic globally.
- Up to date, 317 separate versions of WordPress have been released.
- 60% of all internet traffic in 2020 was generated via mobile devices.
- Angelfire, GeoCities, and Tripod were the first-ever web-hosting providers launched in 1995.
- Asia is the continent with the highest number of internet users.
- Iceland is the country with the highest market penetration (almost 100% of the population has access to the internet).
- The first Internet Service Providers (ISPs) were launched in 1989.
- The Domain Name System (DNS) was introduced in 1984, with the first six domain suffixes: .edu, .gov, .mil, .com, .net, and .org.
- In 1991, Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web.
- The GoDaddy Group Inc. was launched in 1997 under the name of Jomax Technologies.
- According to Rackspace stats, it is currently the 6th most popular hosting software.
- The growth in web hosting is being fuelled by government funding for small and medium enterprises, startups, and side businesses. China, for example, announced a special investment of $894 million for small and medium enterprises. In 2020, it invested a further $140 million.
- In 2014, the number of registered domains with unique hostnames reached 1 billion.
Web Hosting Trends & Predictions
- As of 2021, it is evaluated that 75% of the world’s population is online.
- The web hosting industry is expected to grow to over $171 billion by 2027 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.5%.
- The web hosting market revenue has grown from $33.5 billion in 2016 to almost $60 billion in 2020.
- Managed VPS subsector is expected to grow at a CAGR of 16.5% between 2019 and 2026.
- The cloud-hosting subsector is expected to grow at a CAGR of 18% between 2019 and 2025.
- The shared hosting subsector is expected to grow at a rate of 10.3% per year.
- It is predicted that the total web hosting market revenue in the United States will reach $25,517 million by the end of 2021.
- It is estimated that by 2025, 49% of all internet data will be in the cloud.
- The annual run rate for global IP traffic is expected to increase to 4.8 ZB in 2023.
Web hosting is the backbone of every website on the internet.
With an increasing number of internet users, the web hosting industry will keep on growing at a fast rate.
As a result, more and more web hosting solutions will be available on the market, depending on the latest trends and needs.
If you’re planning on creating a successful business online, choosing the right web hosting providers for your website is essential.
We hope that this list of 117 web hosting stats, facts, and trends will help you make the right choice.
The data in this article was gathered from the following sources: Find Stack, Host Advice, Host Sorter, Finances Online, Statista, and more.