PayPal is the most popular online payment method on the Internet and one of the best payment methods for freelancers and digital entrepreneurs. While PayPal is one of the best ways to receive digital payments from friends and family, many other uses come with PayPal.
If you’re selling products on eBay, getting paid to write articles, or selling your services to clients, PayPal is an option you should consider.
But what do you know about this popular online payment system?
In this article, we’ll give you 68 statistics and facts about PayPal that will help you in your business.
General PayPal Stats and Facts 2023
PayPal is a payment service that lets you send payments for free. It’s a popular alternative to traditional bank and wire transfers because it’s easy to use, convenient and secure.
Let’s look at some of the general PayPal stats and facts you should know about this online payment platform.
- PayPal is the most used online payment processor in the US.
- PayPal supports over 25 currencies in 200 countries.
- PayPal was founded in 1998.
- PayPal’s corporate headquarters are located in San José, California.
- PayPal’s primary operations center is located in Nebraska.
- The average PayPal user is between 25 and 34 years old.
- As of 2022, PayPal has 426 million users.
- PayPal transactions account for 22% of all online transactions in the Us.
- PayPal experiences a 70 million year-on-year user growth.
- PayPal’s net revenue for 2020 amounted to $5.46 billion.
- The number of PayPal users has been steadily growing since 2010.
PayPal Market Share Statistics 2023
The PayPal payment platform has a market share of over 50%.
The company handles billions of dollars in transactions every year, making it one of the world’s leading providers of online payment services.
- As of 2021, PayPal had a market share of 50.32%.
- PayPal’s biggest competitors are Stripe, with a 19.14% market share, and Amazon Pay, with a 3.88% market share.
- PayPal’s total market capitalization was estimated at a whopping $274 billion in 2020.
PayPal User Stats 2023
Have you wondered how many users PayPal has? Or how many websites use PayPal?
Undoubtedly, it’s the most used online payment service in the world.
But to give you an idea of who uses PayPal, we’ve compiled a list of the most important PayPal user statistics.
- PayPal had 425 million active users in the first quarter of 2022.
- By the end of 2021, PayPal had an estimated 392 million active users.
- PayPal’s active user base has been growing 13% year-on-year since 2020.
- It’s estimated that around 80 million people use PayPal’s One Touch feature.
- PayPal had 29 million active merchant accounts by the end of 2020.
- PayPal is used by over 1.6 million websites globally.
- 30% of all websites that use PayPal are located in the US.
- 109,291 websites in the UK use PayPal.
- PayPal gained over 14.5 million users in the first quarter of 2021.
- An average America PayPal user keeps $485 on their PayPal account.
- 19% of Americans prefer to keep their money in their PayPal account than in the bank.
- 59% of online shoppers abandon a checkout page if PayPal isn’t available as a payment option.
- Shoppers are 54% more likely to buy if PayPal is available at checkout.
- An average PayPal user made 45 transactions in 2021, 12.5% more than in 2020.
- 87.5% of all online shoppers use PayPal.
- 72.2% of online shoppers in Europe choose PayPal as their preferred payment method.
PayPal User Demographics Statistics 2023
PayPal’s user base is about as diverse as it gets.
Men and women, young and old, rich and poor, everyone uses or has at least heard about PayPal.
Let’s take a look at some PayPal user demographics stats.
- 97% of Millennials know what PayPal is, and 75% have used this service at least once.
- 25% of all PayPal users are between the ages of 25 and 34.
- 22% of all PayPal users are over 55 years old.
- 20% of all PayPal users are between the ages of 45 and 54.
- 19% of all PayPal users are between the ages of 35 and 44.
- 14% of all PayPal users are less than 24 years old.
- In 2020, there were over 2 million active monthly PayPal app users in the UK.
PayPal Transactions Statistics 2023
PayPal is the world’s largest, most trusted online payment solution.
It enables people to send money for free, receive money in more than 25 currencies from 200 countries worldwide, and hold balances in their PayPal accounts.
Not surprisingly, PayPal receives mind-blowing amounts of transactions every single day, which amount to billions of dollars.
- In 2020, PayPal completed over 15.4 billion transactions.
- PayPal conducts approximately 41 million transactions daily.
- PayPal’s daily transactions amount to $2.5 billion.
- PayPal’s transactions amount to 22% of all daily online transactions in the US.
- PayPal processed 3.74 billion payments amounting to $285 billion in the first quarter of 2021.
- In 2020, people made over 42.1 million PayPal transactions daily.
- In 2021, there were over 19 billion completed transactions on PayPal with a volume of $1.2 trillion.
- In 2021, there were 25% more PayPal transactions than in 2020.
- In 2021, PayPal reached $1 trillion in transaction volume for the first time.
- As of 2022, over 41 million daily transactions are being conducted via PayPal.
PayPal Workforce Statistics 2023
PayPal’s employees are the leading force that drives its colossal success. But who are they?
Here are some PayPal workforce statistics that we managed to find.
- Currently, PayPal employs over 26,500 people across 24 countries.
- At the moment, PayPal has 45 offices around the world.
- 58% of all PayPal employees are millennials.
- 55% of PayPal’s employees are male, and 45% are female.
- 55% of PayPal’s employees are White, 17% are Asian, and 15% are Hispanic.
- The average salary of a PayPal employee is $116,794 per year.
- Spanish is the most spoken foreign language amongst PayPal employees.
- An average PayPal employee stays at the company for 4.2 years.
PayPal Revenue Stats 2023
PayPal’s revenue comes from transaction fees charged on user transactions. And with such considerable amounts of transactions being conducted on PayPal daily, there’s no doubt that the company is making huge amounts of money.
Here are some of the most recent PayPal revenue stats.
- PayPal’s 2020 revenue amounted to $21.4 billion.
- In 2020, PayPal’s net income was $4.2 billion.
- In the first quarter of 2021, PayPal’s net income was $1.1 billion.
- In 2021, PayPal’s net income was estimated at $4.1 billion.
- PayPal increased its net revenue by 70% in 2019.
PayPal Trends and Predictions 2023
For many eCommerce merchants, freelancers, and digital entrepreneurs, PayPal is THE payment solution of choice.
With its widespread use, the question remains: what does the future hold for PayPal?
- PayPal is working on accepting payments in cryptocurrency.
- PayPal recently incorporated the PayPal credit option with a zero-interest-rate, buy-now-pay-later button.
Fun PayPal Statistics 2023
PayPal has been growing and adding platforms to its network.
Here are some interesting facts about PayPal that you may not know.
- Venmo is one of PayPal’s principal subsidiaries.
- eBay bought PayPal in 2002 for $1.5 billion.
- PayPal spent over $4 billion to acquire the Chrome browser extension, Honey.
- PayPal’s stock prices increased by 116% in 2020.
- PayPal invested $500 million into Uber.
- PayPal’s share price was the highest in February 2021, at $304.79.
You might be interested to check those related posts as well:
- 110 Important Online Business Stats 2023 [Facts and Trends]
- 11 Best Payment Methods for Freelancers [2023 Guide]
- 56 Stunning SoftBank Stats and Facts [Market Share] 2023
How many people use PayPal?
Currently, there are over 426 million PayPal active users, including merchant accounts. This is a 15.25% increase from the previous year.
How many PayPal transactions per day?
Considering the most recent statistics saying that PayPal conducts over 41 million daily transactions, we can calculate that it completes over 14.965 billion transactions per year.
What is the average amount in a PayPal account?
It’s estimated that an average PayPal user in the US keeps less than $500 on their account.
The specific amount has been reported to be $485.
PayPal is a leading online payment processor that millions of consumers, small businesses, and entrepreneurs have embraced. If you’re one of them, keeping some of the most important PayPal statistics and facts fresh in your mind is essential.
Whether you’re using it or not, we hope that this article was helpful to you.
- Web Tribunal
- Business Of Apps