Apple released the first version of the iPhone way back in 2007. It featured many innovative features that marked a revolution in the global smartphone market. The iPhone was the major smartphone growth driver for many years and it’s now the #2 smartphone vendor in the world. Keep reading for some of the latest iPhone stats for 2022.
Key iPhone Stats
- Over 700 million iPhones have been sold.
- During Christmas week in 2015 over 49% of new device activations consisted of iPhones.
- There have been 190 million shipments a year of the iPhone since its creation in 2007.
- In the third quarter of 2019 alone there were global shipments made by Apple of 45.6 million iPhones.
- In 2018, 217.72 million iPhones were shipped globally.
- In the fourth quarter of 2019 over half of Apple’s profit was from iPhone sales netting more than $33 billion.
- In the first half of 2019, the iPhone XR made up 48% of all iPhone Sales.
- In the third quarter of 2019, 12.4% of the global smartphone market was held by Apple.
- In 2020 iOS held a worldwide share of 26.28% of the mobile operating system market, and although that was an increase from 22.71% the previous year, Android still dominated the rest at 73.06%.
- The iPhone is currently used by over 1 billion consumers. This is an increase of 5.48% since the previous year.
- Over 1.9 billion iPhones have been sold since their initial release.
- In 2020 Apple shipped 206.1 million iPhones.
- In January 2021, 6 out of 10 of the most sold smartphones were some type of model designed by Apple.
- Apple saw an increase of 50.4% in the shipment of iPhones in 2021, shipping 55.2 million iPhones in just the first quarter.
- In the first quarter of 2021 iPhones accounted for 16.76% of global smartphone shipments.
iPhone Usage Statistics
- In the United States, about 83% of teens own an iPhone.
- In 2018 there were over 101.9 million active iPhone users in the U.S…that’s about one-third of the U.S. population.
- In 2020 the iPhone held a 19.3% share in China, which was nearly twice what it was the previous year.
- Since 2017 the total number of active iPhone users has grown by 186 million, which is a 22.85% increase.
iPhone App Stats
- In early 2021 there were 22 million apps available for iPhone.
- The most popular app on the iPhone is Facebook, which is then followed by Youtube and Instagram.
- In 2020, Zoom became the most downloaded free app on the iPhone, probably stemming from remote work and the need for social interaction due to the pandemic.
- The Apple Store is visited by 500 million people on average a week.
- The average amount of time spent by an individual on the App Store in a month is 33 minutes.
- In 2020 there was around $19 billion spent in the App Store by users worldwide.
- 51 apps per minute are downloaded by Apple users, which in a year would add up to 26,805,600 apps.
- 35.71% of worldwide mobile phone users prefer the iOS operating system.
What percentage of the world uses iPhones?
23.4% of the global market is claimed by the Apple iPhone.
In the U.S., the share of smartphones was dominated by iPhone with 65%.
Is the iPhone more popular than Samsung?
In 2021 Samsung actually beat out the iPhone with 272 million phones shipped in the year compared to 235.7 million iPhones being shipped.
Which was the most sold iPhone?
The top-selling iPhone is the iPhone 6 as well as the iPhone 6 Plus with an estimated revenue of between $65.2 and $68 billion dollars.
Within just a single quarter over 71.5 million units of the iPhone 6 were sold.
Even though it still experiences its competition, the Apple iPhone has a strong presence in the smartphone market.
As it continues to innovate, Apple will continue to see its iPhone as a top seller and a coveted purchase.