Telegram is a social media company out of Dubai, UAE that has seen a surprising rise in popularity since its inception in 2013.
This platform is reaching the same level of popularity as a lot of the top platforms, such as Facebook Messenger.
Let’s take a look at Telegram stats to see how it stands these days.
Key Telegram Stats
- 8.7% of the world population use Telegram
- Telegram is valued at $30 billion (January 2021)
- For global social platform popularity, Telegram is ranked 9th.
- Telegram is a large platform for marketing, with 550 million monthly users that are active there.
- In a 72-hour period in January 2021, there were 25 million people who joined Telegram.
- Users between the age of 25-34 made up 31% of Telegram users in 2021
- Another third of the users are 24 and under.
- Men make up the majority of users at 58.6%, which means 41.4% of users are female.
- Only 1.4% of Telegram users are American
- Across 20 countries, Telegram was the top downloaded social media app in 2020.
- Telegram operates in 58 languages and has 20,000 stickers.
Telegram App Statistics
- The app is more popular on Android Smartphones seeing 500 million of the 540 million downloads in 2020.
- Daily there are 55.2 million active users, and this is on iOS and Android combined. Compare this to back in March 2014 when there were only 15 million daily users.
- 350 million new users have joined Telegram in the past 3 ½ years.
Telegram Usage Stats
- Daily there are 55.2 million active users on Telegram.
- On average, the typical Telegram user uses the application for 2.9 hours a month.
- User count has increased by 175% since 2018
- 1.5 million people join Telegram every day.
- Telegram began in 2013 and since it was founded the user base has grown 40% every year.
- On October 4th, 2021 when Facebook and Instagram were down, Telegram saw a jump in 70 million users.
- Telegram is neck and neck with Meta’s Facebook Messenger with an average user time of 2.7 hours a month.
- In terms of Installations, India had the most in January 2021 at 24%, and then 10% by Indonesia.
- In the United States, there are 10 million users that access Telegram on a monthly basis.
- In Brazil 23% use Telegram on a daily basis and of Brazilians only 3% said that they didn’t use it ever.
- For usage, only 5% of Canadians use Telegram, 3% of the UK, 8% of the Netherlands’ citizens, 25% of Spanish citizens, 11% of Austria, 6% of Finland, and 32% of Italy.
Telegram Revenue Statistics
- $0 has been spent on marketing for Telegram.
- Pavel Durov, the founder of Telegram, invested $3.4 billion in the app. He also spent $1 million dollars of his own money to keep it running.
- There is no current charge to use Telegram, but this may change in the future.
- Even to this date, Telegram has made $0 in revenue.
How many messages on average do users send on Telegram daily?
Daily there are over 15 billion messages sent on Telegram.
Which country uses Telegram the most?
Data from 2021 shows that most of the users are in Asia at 38%.
The countries that follow are Europe at 27%, Latin America at 21%, and the Middle East and North Africa at 8%.
What is the most popular Telegram channel?
The most popular channel is Telegram Tips with 7.5 million followers.
Telegram News is close behind with 6.1 million, and then Bollywood HD Movies with 4.1 million followers.
Telegram is a rising star in the social media world, and its popularity is stretched across the European and Asian world.
Despite the positive Telegram statistics, its lack of revenue makes the future of the application a bit foggy.