DoorDash is the biggest food delivery service in the USA, posting record revenues in 2020 and 2021 as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic, all despite huge controversies surrounding their treatment and payment of delivery drivers and merchant restaurants.
General DoorDash Stats and Facts
- As of 2021, DoorDash had over 2,000,000 DoorDash drivers working for them
- DoorDash raised over $2.5 billion in investments over a series of financing rounds in 2019-2020.
- DoorDash became a publicly listed company on December 9, 2020, raising $3.37 billion in investments at the initial public offering.
- DoorDash began offering grocery delivery (in addition to takeaway food delivery) in August 2020 in direct response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In its very first year, DoorDash’s merchant customer base expanded to include over 70 restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area and received around $2.4 million in funding.
DoorDash Market Share Statistics
- DoorDash, Inc. has a 56% market share of the online food ordering and food delivery market.
- DoorDash is the largest food delivery company in the entire United States of America.
- DoorDash has a 60% market share in the convenience delivery category.
- DoorDash has held its position as the USA’s top food delivery service since overtaking GrubHub in March 2019.
- Some of DoorDash’s largest acquisitions include Caviar for $410 million in 2019, Scotty Labs the same year, Chowbotics in 2021 for at least $46 million, and Wolt in 2021 for $8.1 billion.
DoorDash User Stats
- As of December 31st, 2020, DoorDash was used by over 450,000 merchants
- As of December 31st, 2020, DoorDash had over 25,000,000 consumers using its services and app
- Five million DoorDash users subscribe to DashPass, a premium service that gives them access to free delivery and free cancellation on all of their orders.
- DoorDash has completed over 900,000,000 orders over its lifetime.
- 816,000,000 of DoorDash’s total orders were made in 2020 alone.
DoorDash Demographics Statistics
- Most of DoorDash’s users are located in the USA
- DoorDash is operational in Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand, Japan, and the United States
- DoorDash was founded in January 2013 in Palo Alto, CA, by Tony Xu, Andy Fang, Stanley Tang, and Evann Moore.
- The company is today based out of San Francisco, CA
- DoorDash is available in more than 4,000 cities in North America.
Stats on Worker Satisfaction at DoorDash
- DoorDash has around 3,886 employees, with salaries averaging $173,000 per year.
- DoorDash employee satisfaction levels are low, with the company controversially withholding tips, reducing tip transparency, misclassifying workers, and even listing restaurants and eateries without their permission.
- On average, DoorDash drivers were making just $1.45 per hour after expenses as of January 2020, largely due to the fact that DoorDash were skimming tips from them.
- 55% of DoorDash drivers were women as of February 2021.
- DoorDash has been sued for illegally listing restaurants that have not signed up to DoorDash, in order to redirect potential customers away from these restaurants to other DoorDash official restaurants instead.
- On May 4, 2019, DoorDash announced that 4.9 million of its customers, delivery drivers, and merchants had sensitive information stolen due to a data breach.
- DoorDash drivers went on strike in July 2021, protesting the deliberate manipulation of, and skimming off, tip amounts by DoorDash, before that money ever got to the drivers.
DoorDash Revenue Statistics
- DoorDash’s revenue has increased year-on-year since its founding.
- DoorDash’s stock price has swung wildly over the years, from an initial opening price of $182 to $112 in May 2021, $257 in November 2021, and to the all-time low of $58 in June 2022.
- As of August 3, 2022, DoorDash has a net worth of $26.6 billion and an enterprise value of £23.43 billion. Despite this, it has yet to report a profit any financial year.
- From August 2021-August 2022, the earnings per share in DoorDash dropped by -$1.53.
- From August 2021-August 2022, DoorDash reported revenue of $5.27 billion and losses of $525 million.
DoorDash vs UberEats
- DoorDash overtook Uber Eats in total US food delivery sales in December 2018 to come second only behind GrubHub.
- Uber Eats attempted to broker a merger with DoorDash in 2019, but talks fell apart.
What percentage of people use DoorDash?
There are approximately 25 million DoorDash, active users worldwide. This means that DoorDash users or DoorDash customers equal 0.03% of all the people on Earth.
Compare this to YouTube’s monthly 2 billion active users (over 25% of the world’s population), and it is not such a huge amount.
How much does the average DoorDash driver make?
Unfortunately, the average amount of money that a DoorDash driver makes per hour is extremely low. After expenses (fuel, vehicle maintenance, etc.), the average DoorDash driver made just a pitiful $1.45 per hour in January 2020.
Much of this low wage is due to the fact that DoorDash is known to steal tips from its drivers.
How much does the average DoorDash order cost?
DoorDash orders were originally for takeaway meals from local restaurants, delivered straight to the customer’s door. Today, however, DoorDash orders can also comprise food and other groceries from supermarkets and local shops.
The average cost of a DoorDash order is $37.28.
How many DoorDash deliveries are made each day?
It’s hard to say exactly how many DoorDash deliveries are made per day.
However, if we take the statistic for the number of deliveries made in 2020 alone – which is 816 million – and divide that number by the days in a year – 365 – then we can state that, on average, 2.24 million orders were placed via DoorDash every day of 2020.
How many DoorDash drivers are there currently employed?
DoorDash driver stats are constantly changing as the DoorDash app breaks ground in more and more cities across the world.
The COVID-19 pandemic of 2020-22 also had a huge impact on the number of drivers working for DoorDash (by increasing it dramatically).
At the time of writing (August 2022), there are over 2 million DoorDash drivers delivering orders.
DoorDash is a controversial company that appears to make much of its money by fraudulently listing restaurants that have not signed up for its services whilst skimming tips from drivers.
It is bigger than Uber Eats and all other food delivery companies in the USA.
DoorDash growth and DoorDash sales continue to soar year-on-year, yet without recorded profit and despite the controversies.
Here is a list of the sources used in compiling this list of the top facts and figures about DoorDash:
- Stock Analysis
- Business Of Apps
- The Ride Share Guy
- Wall Street Zen
- Web Tribunal
- Expanded Ramblings