It’s easy to see why TikTok is one of the fastest-growing and most beloved social media apps of all time.
From DIY tutorials to trendy choreography routines, it has won the hearts of over 1 billion people around the world.
Here are some TikTok user stats about this trending mobile app.
Key TikTok User Stats
- TikTok has been downloaded over 3 billion times.
- There are over 1 billion users actively using TikTok each month, making it the 6th most used social media platform in the world.
- The average person watches over 24 hours of TikTok content a month. However, kids under 15 years old watch about 75 minutes of content each day.
- 90% of users are daily users.
- 45% of brand marketers use TikTok to collaborate with creators and influencers.
- The most liked video in 2021 had over 48.4 million likes.
- The average user session is 10.85 minutes.
- The most popular video category is entertainment, with 535 million hashtags views. Dance, pranks, and fitness/sports are the other most-viewed categories.
- TikTok has an 88% positive review rating in the app store.
TikTok User Demographics
- Almost half of all TikTok users are between the ages of 10 and 29.
- 78.7 million users are located in the US.
- The majority (61%) of TikTok users are female.
- 49% of users say that TikTok helped them make a purchasing decision.
- TikTok is available in 150 countries and in 75 different languages.
- People in the UK spend an average of 27.3 hours in the app, while American users spend 25.6 hours each month.
- More than 90% of app installs are on Android devices.
- The average person opens the app 8 times a day.
- Nearly 80% of user spending comes from China.
- Before the app was banned in India, it had over 190 million users.
TikTok Creator Stats
- Over half (53%) of TikTok creators are between 18 and 24 years old.
- 83% of users on TikTok have posted at least one video.
- If a brand collaborates with a creator, it can expect an increase in ad recall by 27%.
- Charli D’Amelio is the top TikTok creator with over 136 million followers. She made over $17.5 million in 2021 from the app.
- The best performing videos are between 21 and 34 seconds.
- Adding captions to your video can increase the viewing rate by 55.7%.
- TikTok has the highest engagement rate (17.96%) of any social media app for micro-influencers.
TikTok Growth Statistics
- With over 700 million downloads, TikTok was the most downloaded app in the world in 2021.
- In 2021, 430 songs surpassed more than 1 billion video views.
- From 2020 to 2021, consumer spending on the app increased by 77%.
- Marketers are using TikTok more than ever. In 2021, 24% believed it’s an effective business channel compared to only 3% from the previous year.
- TikTok has seen a revenue increase of 142% each year. In 2021, it brought in over $4.6 billion.
- TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, is valued at $353 billion.
How old is the average TikTok user?
60% of TikTok users are Generation Z, which means they are between 10 and 25 years old. The age group with the fewest users is 55 and over.
This user group only accounts for 3.4% of all TikTok users.
How many followers does the average TikTok user have?
36.78% of TikTok users have between 1,000 and 5,000 followers on TikTok.
Less than 1% of creators have 500,000 to 1 million followers, and only 6 creators have more than 50 million followers.
How fast is TikTok growing?
Every day, approximately 650,000 new users download and sign up with TikTok. Compared to 2020, TikTok saw a 45% increase in the number of users in 2021.
At this rate, the app is expected to reach 1.5 billion users by the end of 2023.
TikTok may be one of the newest social media platforms, but its exponential rise in popularity makes it one of the most successful apps of all time.
With its user base increasing each year, we can expect that it will remain a big player in the social media app industry for the next few years.
- Wallaroo Media
- Business of Apps