When you’re searching for that one-of-a-kind gift or a unique hand-crafted item that no one else has, you know exactly where to look.
Etsy is the go-to online marketplace for handmade or vintage items and crafting supplies.
Etsy is popular among artisans for its easy-to-use platform.
Unlike creating and managing your own web store, it is super simple to set up an Etsy shop.
Within minutes you can reach literally millions of customers from around the world, allowing you to spend more time focusing on your craft.
If you are an artisan or crafter looking to offer your products online, consider these Etsy stats to help you maximize your eCommerce experience.
Key Etsy Stats, Facts, and Trends for 2023
- In 2020, Etsy processed $10.28 billion in gross sales, a 106.84% increase from 2019.
- Etsy earned $1.72 billion in revenue in 2020, a 110.07% increase since 2019.
- There are 4.36 million active sellers on Etsy.
- There are 81.9 million active buyers on Etsy.
- Etsy directly employs 1,209 workers.
- Etsy is ranked as the 4th fastest-growing eCommerce company in 2021, behind Apple, Chewy, and Amazon.
Etsy Seller Stats
- In 2020 alone, Etsy added 2.16 million sellers.
- Etsy is a worldwide platform with sellers in 234 countries.
- The United States is home to 62% of Etsy sellers.
- California boasts the most sellers from the US, with 14% residing there.
- The United Kingdom has the highest percentage of sellers outside of the United States, with 30% of international Etsy sellers living there.
- The highest-earning sellers make $10,000 or more annually.
- Since opening, the top Etsy seller in the US has made more than 1.2 million dollars.
- Women make up the majority of sellers on Etsy at 83%.
- The average seller is 39 years old.
- Multi-channel retailers sell their products across multiple platforms. 61% of Etsy sellers are considered multi-channel retailers.
- 82% of Etsy sellers say they would like to grow their business.
Etsy Buyer Demographics & Stats
- There were 38 million new buyers in 2020, doubling the number of new buyers from the previous year.
- In 2020, over 61 million new and reactivated shoppers joined Etsy.
- The number of active buyers on Etsy increased by 35.55 million from 2019 to 2020.
- In 2020, 46.91% of the Etsy user base were new buyers, but they only accounted for 16% of the gross merchandise sales.
- Even with so many new users, it was existing Etsy users generated 84% of the gross merchandise sales in 2020.
- 50% of Etsy buyers indicated that shipping costs would influence their decision about whether or not to purchase a product.
Etsy Shop Stats
- The average conversion rate on Etsy is 1% to 3%.
- Etsy marketing cost the company $500.76 million in 2020.
- Etsy charges shop managers a 12% to 15% fee for each successful sale from an offsite ad.
- An Etsy ad costs the average seller around US $0.20 – $0.50 per click.
- In 2020, 3.21 million Etsy listing videos were uploaded. Prior to June of 2020, only photos could be uploaded.
How many Etsy sellers sold goods before discovering the platform?
45% of sellers said that they have never sold any of their goods before they did so through Etsy.
Now, 76% of sellers consider their online shops a business. 30% focus on their creative businesses as their sole occupation.
90% of sellers wish to grow their sales in the future. 71% said that growing their business sustainably and responsibly is very important to them.
46% have applied for a business tax ID while 41% have opened a business bank account.
Source: Building an Etsy Economy
Etsy Product Stats
- There are over 60 million products listed on Etsy.
- There are more than 50 categories on the Etsy marketplace.
- Homewares and home furnishing are the largest category on Etsy and generate $3.2 billion in annual sales. That is more than double that of jewelry and personal accessories, which is the second-largest category.
- 80% of the overall gross merchandise sales are from the top 6 categories, which include: homewares and home furnishings, jewelry and personal accessories, craft supplies, apparel, beauty and personal care, and paper and party supplies.
- In August of 2020, “face mask” was the top Etsy search. Face-covering sales skyrocketed in 2020, earning $743 million dollars.
- The top Etsy search and trend in 2020 overall was “personalized gift.”
Etsy Web Statistics
- 61% of Etsy’s gross merchandise sales are mobile transactions, which amounts to $6.27 billion per year.
- Over 32 million people use Etsy’s mobile app each month.
- The Etsy mobile app is used by 43% of sellers to manage their sales in addition to the website.
Etsy Sales and Revenue Statistics
- In 2015, 10 years after it was founded, Etsy became a publicly-traded company in the United States.
- 36% of Etsy’s gross merchandise sales in 2020 were from international buyers, totaling $3.7 billion.
- Etsy has three major sources of income: marketplace, seller services, and other Etsy fees. The largest of these is the marketplace, which generated $1.3 billion in 2020, totaling 75.58% of revenue.
- Seller Services, such as advertising, shipping labels, and Etsy’s Pattern site, earned $422.5 million in 2020.
- Experts predicted that Etsy’s revenue would experience 22% growth from 2019 to 2021.
You might be interested to check those related posts as well:
- 80+ Amazing Etsy Shop Ideas 2023 [Guide for Creatives]
- Is Etsy Legit and Safe?
- [500+] Candle Company Names this 2023
Answers to our most frequently asked questions.
How many items are listed for sale on Etsy?
There are over 60 million items listed for sale on Etsy.
Each item must be handmade, vintage, or considered craft supplies.
Party supplies may be considered craft supplies.
What percentage of Etsy sellers have used the platform for more than 4 years?
Nearly 13% of sellers have had active shops on Etsy for 4 years or more.
How many downloads does the Etsy app have?
As of 2016, the Etsy app had been downloaded 31.8 million times.
How many active users does Etsy have?
Etsy connects 4.36 million active sellers with 81.9 million active buyers, bringing the total number of active users to 86.26 million.
As an Etsy shop owner, in addition to the statistics listed here, you will have your own shop stats that you will want to monitor.
Here are some KPIs (key performance indicators) and metrics for you to be aware of:
- Conversion rate – This measures how many visitors make a purchase from your shop. To calculate your conversion rate, divide the number of orders by the number of visitors. You can track this in Etsy Stats.
- Visitors – Etsy visits are essential to your success. It is important to know just how many visitors you have since this is directly linked to your total sales. Visits can be tracked in Etsy Stats or Google Analytics. Unique visitors can only be tracked through Google Analytics.
- Traffic source – Whether direct, referred, or search engine traffic, knowing how your visitors find your shop is important so you can tailor your marketing efforts. Track this in Etsy Stats or Google Analytics.
- Bounce rate – This KPI is the number of visitors that leave after viewing only one product. Ideally, you want visitors to explore your shop, not leave it immediately. Therefore, a low bounce rate is a good goal. This can be tracked on Google Analytics.
Are you looking for a place to sell your vintage or handmade items?
Armed with these Etsy stats, facts, and figures, you can decide if an Etsy shop is the right fit for your business.
The statistics in this article were compiled from the following sources: