Often called the Chinese Amazon, the Alibaba Group is a Chinese multinational eCommerce company.
With the expansion of the Chinese market, Alibaba is becoming more and more popular outside of China.
In this article, we’ve gathered the most important Alibaba Group stats and facts to help you better understand this Chinese conglomerate.
General Alibaba Stats and Facts
Have you heard of Alibaba?
Even though Alibaba is the biggest eCommerce company in China, many people aren’t familiar with it.
To learn more about this Chinese digital shopping giant, take a look at the statistics below.
- Alibaba was founded in 1999 by Jack Ma.
- Alibaba’s name was inspired by the tale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.
- Alibaba’s headquarters is located in Hangzhou, China.
- Alibaba had its American IPO in 2014.
- Alipay is available in 110 countries.
- Alipay supports 30 currencies.
- The Alibaba Group has 13 subsidiaries, including Alibaba, AliExpress, Taobao, and Youku.
Alibaba Market Share Stats
Are you wondering how big Alibaba is?
While Alibaba’s size isn’t as big as Amazon’s, it’s still one of the largest eCommerce platforms in the world – and the largest in China.
Take a look at these Alibaba market share statistics.
- In 2019, the Alibaba market share in China was calculated at 55.9%.
- In the fiscal year of 2020, Alibaba hit a GMV of $1 trillion, making it the largest eCommerce company in the world.
- Currently, Alibaba holds 47/1% of the retail eCommerce market share in China.
- Alibaba’s market cap is estimated at $333 billion.
Alibaba User’s Statistics
Who uses Alibaba?
Let’s take a look at these statistics about Alibaba’s users.
- In the first quarter of 2022, Alibaba will have 1.28 billion active consumers worldwide.
- In the first quarter of 2022, Alibaba had 903 million annual active consumers in China, increasing from 882 million in the last quarter of 2021.
- In 2020, Alibaba had 779 million active customers in China.
- In 2020, Alibaba had 902 million active mobile users annually.
- 8.5 million sellers use Alibaba’s eCommerce platforms.
- 785 million people use Alipay each month.
- Alibaba’s website reached its first million users in 2001.
Alibaba Demographics Statistics
Who are Alibaba’s users and employees? While Alibaba is mainly known in China, it’s used by people from all around the world.
Here are a few Alibaba demographics stats.
- 17.12% of Alibaba’s website traffic from desktops comes from the US.
- 16.75% of Alibaba’s website traffic from desktops comes from China.
- 13.04% of AliExpress’s website traffic from desktops comes from Brazil.
- 8.20% of AliExpress’s website traffic comes from the US and 7.49% from Spain.
- Currently, Alibaba employs 259,316 full-time employees.
Alibaba Orders Statistics
Have you wondered how many orders Alibaba processes per day?
Here are some mind-blowing numbers.
- During its annual sales event on November 11th, 2020, Alibaba processed 583,000 orders per second.
- Alibaba receives 12.7 billion orders each year.
- Alibaba processes approximately 35 million orders per day.
Alibaba Revenue and Sales Stats
As one of the top eCommerce shops in the world and the biggest digital shopping platform in China, Alibaba Group’s revenue can be counted in billions of dollars.
Here are some of the most relevant Alibaba revenue, sales, and advertising statistics.
- In 2022, Alibaba’s revenue is expected to reach $134.567 billion.
- Alibaba’s revenue increased by 22.91% between 2021 and 2022.
- In the fiscal year of 2021, Alibaba’s total revenue was estimated at $109.48 billion.
- Alibaba’s year-on-year growth is estimated at 29%.
- Alibaba’s revenue from subscriptions grew by 60.4% between 2018 and 2020.
- In 2021, Alibaba’s profits generated just from commerce in China were estimated at 66% of their total sales.
- In 2021, Alibaba made $473.68 billion from retail eCommerce in China.
- In 2021, Alibaba made 87% of its revenue from eCommerce sales.
- In 2021, Alibaba made $91.99 billion from eCommerce, $5.93 billion from Cloud Computing, $4.31 billion from digital media and entertainment, and $6.7 million from other initiatives.
- In 2020, Alibaba generated $74.1 billion in gross merchandise volume (GMV) on Single’s Day – their annual sales event held on the 11th of November.
- In 2021, Alibaba earned $9.8 billion in GMV from its Chinese marketplaces.
- In the fiscal year of 2019, Alibaba made $56.15 billion in revenue while Amazon made $280.522 billion.
- In 2021, Alibaba spent $7.73 billion on advertising.
Alibaba Group Trends & Predictions
What does the future hold for Alibaba and its subsidiaries? With eCommerce sales rapidly growing in China, Alibaba is expected to expand significantly in the coming years.
Here are some Alibaba trends and predictions that are worth knowing.
- Online retail sales in China are expected to reach $3.6 trillion in 2025.
- According to various eCommerce stats, China is expected to be the first country to see more than 50% of retail sales happening online.
- Retail sales in China are expected to grow by 44.6% in the next four years.
- Alibaba is expected to reach $1.33 trillion in sales in China by the end of 2022.
- Amazon is expected triple Alibaba’s revenue by the end of 2022.
- Alibaba expects to have 2 billion global customers by 2036.
- The “Buy Now Pay Later” trend in Asia was first introduced by Alibaba.
- Other companies tend to invest in Alibaba, according to SoftBank stats, it originally invested $20 million.
How much does Alibaba make per year?
Alibaba makes billions of dollars annually, and its revenue grows yearly.
In 2020, Alibaba’s revenue was estimated at $71.985 billion, in 2021 at $109.48 billion, and in 2022 it’s expected to reach $134.567 billion.
What percentage of the US population knows about Alibaba?
While Alibaba’s customers come mostly from China, you might be surprised to learn that over 17% of the traffic to Alibaba’s website comes from the US.
However, we don’t have enough statistics to know what percentage of the US population knows or uses Alibaba.
How many packages does Alibaba ship per day?
It’s estimated that Alibaba processes around 12.7 billion orders per year. Therefore, we can calculate that Alibaba processes nearly 35 million daily orders.
However, another statistic says that Alibaba ships 12 million packages per day.
Alibaba Group is a dominant player in the international business-to-business marketplace. With its online marketplaces, Alibaba is succeeding in boosting trade and developing e-commerce between China and the rest of the world.
As the company expands internationally, Alibaba will likely continue to expand its global impact.
- Expanded Ramblings
- Wall Street Zen
- Alibaba Group
- Web Tribunal