Most people know about cryptocurrency. In fact, 89% of Americans have said that they’ve heard of Bitcoin, one of the most well-known cryptocurrencies out there.
But there is still a lot about cryptocurrency that isn’t understood by the general population. That’s why in this article, we will talk about interesting cryptocurrency stats you need to know.
In simple terms, cryptocurrency is a virtual currency.
The cryptocurrency was developed to eliminate some of the issues associated with traditional tender. It is virtually impossible to counterfeit and is not regulated by a central authority.
If you’re wanting to learn more about cryptocurrency or are considering investing in cryptocurrency, be sure to take note of the following cryptocurrency stats and facts.
General Cryptocurrency Stats and Facts 2023
- While there are over 10,000 cryptocurrencies, 90% of the market is made up of the top 20.
- Worldwide there are over 300 million crypto users.
- Over 18,000 businesses accept cryptocurrency as payments.
- Bitcoin wallets are the avenue by which to purchase Bitcoin. As of March 2022, over 81 million people had Bitcoin wallets. This was a 72% increase from the previous year and a 237% increase from 2018.
Cryptocurrency Market Statistics 2023
- The Bitcoin price increased by more than 540,000% in the 9 years leading up to 2021. In 2020 it reached an annual growth rate of 274%.
- In 2020, the worldwide cryptocurrency market size was $1.49 billion. By 2030, it is projected to reach $4.94 billion.
Cryptocurrency Users Stats 2023
- The top five countries with the most crypto users are India, the United States, Nigeria, Vietnam, and the United Kingdom.
- Males make up 79% of crypto users.
- 58% of crypto users are under 34 years of age.
- The majority of crypto users, 82%, have a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- 36% of crypto users have an annual income of over $100,000.
- 41.9 million gamers owned cryptocurrency as of 2020.
- There are about 46 million Americans who own a share of Bitcoin. This is about 22% of the adult population.
Cryptocurrency Crime Statistics 2023
- In Q1 of 2020, darknet vendors collected $384 million, up from $240 million in Q1 of 2019. Compare this to $87 million in Q1 of 2017.
- According to a report from Bitfury, the value of Bitcoin processed on the dark web is up 65% over one year and 340% over 3 years.
- Some luxury brands accept crypto to create a one-of-a-kind experience. These may include limited edition items that are exclusively purchased using cryptocurrencies.
- In 2020, the crypto gaming industry had an estimated market revenue of $321 million.
- El Salvador was the first country to legalize Bitcoin as a tender.
How many cryptocurrencies are there?
As of February 2022, there are over 10,300 cryptocurrencies, a significant increase from 66 in 2013. However, most of them are not significant as cryptocurrency is fairly easy to create.
What are the most searched cryptocurrencies?
At the end of 2021, Dogecoin was the most searched cryptocurrency, followed by Bitcoin and Ethereum.
The more you know about cryptocurrency, the better prepared you are when it comes to investing in this new and volatile market.
Statistics for this article were gathered from the following sources:
- Allied Market Research
- Exploding Topics
- US News