The cleaning industry is a multi-billion dollar, worldwide industry. It’s also one of the largest industries in the United States. This industry is growing fast, and for a good reason – more and more people need help to clean their homes, offices, or other residential and commercial areas.
To help you better understand the industry, we’ve compiled a list of the 34 most interesting cleaning industry stats, facts, and trends from recent years.
Cleaning Industry: Most Important Statistics 2023
- The cleaning industry market in North America is bigger than that of any other region
- Asia has the second-largest cleaning industry market in the world
- The janitorial services industry employed more than 3.24 million people in 2018
- The janitorial services industry had 1,063,988 businesses in the United States in 2021
- Around 60 million people are employed as domestic workers worldwide
Cleaning Industry Demographic Statistics 2023
- 47.5 years old is the average age of housekeepers, cleaners, and cooks
- There are more women (76%) working in the cleaning industry than men (24%)
- Approximately two-thirds of janitors and building cleaners are male.
- Of the nation’s housekeepers, cleaners, and cooks, 61.5% are white, 19.6% are Hispanic or Latino, and 10% are Black
- 31% of housekeepers stopped their education after receiving a high school degree
Commercial Cleaning Industry Statistics 2023
- In 2016, it was estimated that there were over 2.3 million jobs in the commercial cleaning industry
- It is estimated that there were 1,990,510 janitors and cleaners working in the United States in May 2020
- In May 2020, janitors and building cleaners earned an average annual salary of $29,080
- The state of Washington pays its janitors and building cleaners the most ($40,330 per year)
- The employment of janitors and building cleaners increased by 2.52% between 2017 and 2018
- The commercial cleaning industry represents 55% of the total cleaning industry
- It is estimated that the commercial cleaning industry grows at a 5.13% CAGR
Residential Cleaning Industry Statistics 2023
- A housekeeper or maid earns an average annual salary of $28,010
- The District of Columbia pays its housekeepers and maids the most ($40,000 per year)
- It’s expected that the employment of housekeepers and maids will grow by over 6% by 2029
- 795,590 domestic workers were employed in the United States in May 2020
- As of 2022, there are approximately 900,000 maids employed in the United States
- In the US, most maids are employed in California and Florida, followed by Texas, New York, and Pennsylvania
- The residential cleaning industry represents 15% of the total cleaning industry
- It is estimated that the residential cleaning industry grows at a 4.17% CAGR
Cleaning Business Revenue Statistics 2023
- It is estimated that the global cleaning industry will reach $74 billion by the end of 2022
- In 2022, the global household cleaners market value is estimated at $37.85 billion
- In the UK, the cleaning industry generates approximately £24 billion annually, which is equivalent to $30 billion
- The carpet cleaning industry in the US generates approximately $5 billion per year
- The global dry-cleaning market is expected to grow to $180 billion by the end of 2022
Future of Cleaning Industry Statistics 2023
- It is expected that the global household cleaners market value will reach $46.9 billion by 2026
- The market for household cleaning products is projected to grow by $15.7 million by 2024
- The cleaning product market is projected to grow at a 5% CAGR until 2024
- The cleaning industry revenue is expected to grow 10% by 2026
You might be interested to check those related posts as well:
- [181+] Cool Car Captions for Instagram this 2023
- 20+ Best DIY Blogs and Bloggers [to Follow] in 2023
- 20+ Best Home Improvement and Home Decor Blogs and Websites [to Follow] in 2023
How big is the cleaning industry?
The cleaning industry is huge. In the US alone, the cleaning services market is projected to reach $74 billion by the end of 2022 and grow by 10% in the next four years. Currently, it is estimated that the cleaning industry employs more than 60 million domestic workers worldwide.
How profitable is a cleaning business?
The demand for cleaning services is continuously growing worldwide. In the United States, a small cleaning business with one employee has a potential annual income of at least $20,000.
What percentage of Americans use cleaning services?
According to the US Department of Commerce, in 2021, 10% of all US households hired a cleaning service. Furthermore, it is expected that 80% of two-income American families will be employing a professional cleaning service in the next few years.
There’s one thing you can count on: the cleaning industry is constantly in flux, and its future looks promising. So if you’re in the cleaning industry or you’re thinking of entering it, this list of statistics will help you stay ahead of the curve.