Akamai Technologies Inc. is a Content Delivery Network (CDN) provider as well as a provider of cybersecurity and cloud services based out of Cambridge, MA.
As one of the leading Content Delivery Networks globally, Akamai reduces the load time of client websites by ensuring the geographical proximity of content servers to users.
General Akamai Technologies Inc Stats and Facts
- Akamai Technologies was founded in 1998, the same year that its founders entered their business plan into the MIT $50K competition.
- The company name Akamai is a Hawaiian word that means either ‘clever’ or ‘cool,’ depending on the context.
- Akamai’s founders were Daniel Lewin and Tom Leighton, who founded the company in Cambridge, MA.
- Akamai Technologies Inc. co-founder Daniel M. Lewin tragically died in the September 11 attacks whilst onboard American Airlines Flight 11. He was 31 years old.
- Akamai releases a quarterly report called “The State of the Internet,” which provides insight into connection speed, attack traffic, mobile connectivity, network connectivity, and broadband adoption throughout the global internet.
Akamai Market Share Statistics
- At least 55% of the Fortune 500 (the world’s richest companies) use Akamai server solutions.
- The top 5 biggest CDN companies are Amazon Web Services Inc, Akamai Technologies Inc., Google, Fastly Inc., and Limelight Networks.
- Akamai services are used by all 6 branches of the US military.
- The top 10 largest online retailers all use Akamai services.
- The top 10 fintech service firms all use Akamai services.
- The top 10 video streaming providers all use Akamai services.
- 7 out of the top 10 international banks use Akamai services.
- 7 out of the top 10 healthcare payers use Akamai services.
- 9,781,857 websites are historical Akamai customers.
- 2,383,451 websites are live and currently using Akamai, whilst 7,398,406 used Akamai in the past.
- Akamai has a 1.11% share in the content delivery network community.
- Akamai is the 14th most popular content delivery network in the world.
- Akamai Technologies Inc. is the 4th most popular content delivery network provider in the United States of America.
Akamai Usage Stats
- Akamai’s Intelligent Edge Platform has around 360,000 servers spread across more than 135 countries.
- Akamai’s Intelligent Edge Platform servers gather real-time information in around 1,350 of the world’s networks.
- Apple uses Akamai as its primary content delivery network and has done so since 1999.
- On average, Akamai delivers around 3 trillion online transactions every single day.
- Akamai Edge is currently used by 31,837 live websites on the internet.
Akamai Employee Statistics
- As of August 2022, Akamai employs over 9,000 employees worldwide.
- Akamai’s employee demographics include just 36% women, compared to 64% men.
- The most common ethnicity in the employees working at Akamai is White (55%), followed by 20% Asian employees and 13% Latinx.
- The average salary of an employee at Akamai Technologies Inc. is $110,629 annually.
- Typically, Akamai employees work at the company for an average of 3.3 years.
Akamai Revenue Statistics
- Apple invested $12.5 million in Akamai before the launch of Quicktime TV (QTV) in 1999.
- As of 2021, Akamai’s annual revenue was $3.5 billion, which was an increase of 7% on 2020.
- As of 2020, Akamai’s annual net income was around $557 million.
Akamai Stock Price Stats
- The company was first included in the S&P (Standard and Poor’s) 500 Index in July 2007, measuring them among the world’s 500 largest, most profitable companies.
- At the time of writing (August 2022), Akamai stock has fallen to a 2-year low of 1,946.88.
- Akamai’s annual revenue has been steadily increasing since its inauguration, with no downturns to mention; it would appear as though this trend is set to continue.
- As an industry, CDN is expected to be worth around $49.61 billion by 2026, which would require a Compound Annual Growth Rate of 27.30%.
How much of the Internet uses Akamai Technologies Inc.?
Despite its numerous benefits, only around 3.4% of the internet currently uses CDN. Akamai Technologies Inc. has a 1.11% share in the overall CDN community.
By calculating Akamai’s share in the CDN community versus how much of the internet uses a CDN, we determine that around 0.038% of the internet uses Akamai.
How many companies use Akamai Technologies Inc.?
At the time of writing (August 2022), Akamai Technologies Inc. services are currently used by 103,599 companies worldwide.
These companies range from some of the biggest companies in the world (including Apple and Microsoft) to smaller yet still significant companies, such as Airbnb, Adobe, IBM, NASA, and J.C. Penney.
How many employees does Akamai Technologies Inc. have?
At the time of writing (August 2022), Akamai Technologies Inc. has around 9,000 employees at its disposal around the world.
These employees are most often white males, earning average salaries of $110,629.
Akamai’s second largest demographic in terms of sex is female, and in terms of ethnicity is Asian.
Akamai Technologies Inc. is one of the most successful Content Distribution networks, cloud, and cybersecurity service providers in the world.
The company has reported steadily increasing profits year-on-year, despite a low Akamai stock price at the time of writing (August 2022).
Around 0.038% of the entire internet uses Akamai.
Here is a list of the sources used in compiling this list of the 35 key Akamai Technologies facts and statistics:
- Market Research Reports
- Expanded Ramblings
- UK Finance